Thursday, March 21, 2013

Who I Am

Today is known World Down Syndrome Day.  This day was created to raise awareness for individuals with Down Syndrome and to celebrate that fact that each and every life and precious, beautiful, and deserves to be given a chance.  Obviously, we in the Tharpe household celebrate everyday, but WDSD is held on 3/21 to symbolize the 3rd copy of the 21st chromosome which is the cause of Down Syndrome.

Two years ago, I had no clue that this day even existed, but today I am honored to know the meaning of it and to celebrate the life of such an incredible, life-changing little boy.  In honor of this day, the International Down Syndrome Coalition has put together a campaign called "Who I Am".  Just as I was on the before we had Deacon, many people are afraid of Down Syndrome and clueless as to what it is. They don't understand that it is nothing but a diagnosis and that these individuals lead full, meaningful lives just like everyone else.  I will never put limitations on what my son can and will do.  Each day is a new adventure, and at only 16 months old, he never ceases to amaze us.  So here his version of "Who I Am".

I am a charmer.


I am a food fanatic.

I am a champion.

I am the missing piece of my family's puzzle.

 I am the light of my Momma's life.


I am my Daddy's little man.

I am adored by my brother and sister.

I am loved by many.

I am a superhero.

I am very kissable.

I am full of personality.

I am smart.

I am strong.

I am happy.

I am full of possibilities.

I am someone who can make a difference.

I am a life that matters.


I am Deacon David Tharpe.

And I encourage you to check out the "Who I Am" video from the IDSC. It is awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment