Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Cutest Face

It was a Friday afternoon, a couple of weeks ago.  My anxiety level was high, because I had just chased down the kids' bus driver.  Twice.  Once because Sister didn't get off at her stop, and then again, because Noah remembered he left his hoodie on there.  Surely, I'm not the only mom ever to hop out at a stop light, run up to the bus, and beat on the driver's window to ask him to pull over at the next available spot.  When it comes to boys and their Under Armour, it's serious business and mine is a little over-dramatic, so it simply could not wait til Monday afternoon.  Chances are it would be gone by then.  If you're a Mom who has paid for that stuff, I know you feel me and would have done the same thing.  Okay, probably not.  Because a sane person would get the driver's phone number and call them.  Nope.  Not me.  So maybe I know where he gets his over-dramatization from.

Anyway, driving back home, I overheard the kids in the backseat of the car.

Noah leaned over to Deacon and said, "Oh, I just want to kiss your face! It's the cutest face in the whole world!"



Then, I hear Sister say, "You mean the cutest Down Syndrome face."

Noah was so enthralled by his brother that I don't think he heard her.   He just continued on..."I love you, Bubba.  You're the cutest little Brother in the world.  This is just the cutest little face..."


Sister insistently interrupted, "You mean the cutest DOWN SYNDROME face!"

This time he heard her.  He looked at her in total dismay and said, "What? No! What are you talking about? Why would you say that?  Why would his face be any different than any other face?  It's just the cutest face!"


She just put her head down in embarrassment and didn't say a word.  And neither did I.  I just smiled.  I couldn't help but think of the lessons that Deacon is continuing to teach them.  Teach me.  How to see others through Christ's eyes and to love them unconditionally.  To see past their flaws, their weaknesses, their differences, and to love them for who they are.  It is my prayer that as days and years go by this lesson carries on into their lives.  That when my children look at others, they don't see a pretty face, an unseemly face, a rich face, a poor face, a smart face, an unintelligent face, or any other kind of face, but rather they just see a face.  A person.  A life just as important as their own.   I also pray that my children do not find pleasure in mocking another's blemishes or insecurities.    It might be in our human nature to judge and make fun of, but it's not at all our place.  I'm not casting any stones, because I am just as guilty as the next person.  I'm learning too.  He's continuing to change me into a better person.  I'm a work in progress, but aren't we all?  The truth is whether or not we choose to admit it, we are all broken and imperfect.  We are all different in our own way.  But Christ loves us anyway.  Can you imagine what a better place this World would be if we all loved with this same love? 

When I look at my son, I don't see Down Syndrome, I just see Deacon.  A happy, healthy (minus the broken leg & cast) little boy who loves life with a passion and brings so much joy to those around him.  I am not naive enough to believe that everyone around him will always see or treat him this way.  I cringe to think about what he will face or hear from some of the cruel, hateful people in this world.  I like to have the ignorance is bliss mentality and think they don't exist, but I've been on social media long enough to see that they do.  All I can do is pray for these people, and do my best to protect my son.  Hoping that maybe one day he can teach them too.  And knowing that there are many more good people in this world than there are bad.


And speaking of there being more good people...we have been showered with so many meals, gifts, cards, prayers, and well wishes during this little bump in the road.  I can't say enough how appreciative I am for the love shown to my boy and our family.  Even from complete strangers.  Just a few weeks ago, I had a lady contact me and tell me that Deacon had been nominated for something called the Sunshine Box Project.  If you haven't heard of them, they are an awesome organization that connects sponsors with nominees and help send boxes of sunshine to those who could really use it.  How awesome is that?! Click here to find out more or how you could be involved.  We received our package a few days ago from a precious family in Georgia.  The big kids were just as blessed by it as Deacon.  And so were we.  It's so refreshing and inspiring to see people loving other people and carrying out such selfless acts.



God is good! All of the time.  I love seeing how He works and have other stories to tell, but I'll save those for another post.  For now, here are some highlights from the past few months...


 Sister turned 7!




 Mardi Gras fun! 

  
Snow in Louisiana! Happens once in a blue moon.  We don't even know how to handle it!
(Hence the turtle sandbox lid for a sled.)


And soakin' in some of this spring sunshine...

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment