Saturday, July 29, 2017

DIY Homemade Lip Balm

When it is summertime here, I have zero desire to go outside unless I am near a pool, lake, or ocean.  Being stuck indoors puts me in the mood to craft, and lately I have been wanting to make all the things with my Young Living oils.  I decided to start with lip balm.  I love a good chapstick and wanted to make one that was all natural.  I searched around, got an idea of what to use, and kinda mixed up a few recipes.

Here's what I used...

Ingredients:
2 TBSP African Shea Butter
2 TBSP Organic Beeswax 
2 TBSP Organic Coconut Oil
6-10 drops of Young Living essential oils (I used Peppermint)
Small syringe (I used one of my kids' medicine droppers.)

Tools:
12 Lip Balm tubes
Glass measuring cup (Heavy duty and able to be heated like Pyrex or Anchor)
Egg carton
Frying Pan


I ordered almost all of my ingredients online except for the coconut oil.  You can click on each item and it will take you to exactly what I used.


First, I put some water in a frying pan and set the glass measuring cup in the center of it as I brought it to a boil.  Then I added the beeswax and waited for it to melt.


While waiting for that to melt, I poked holes in my egg carton, opened all of my tubes, and made sure they were rolled all the way down.  Then I stuck each tube into the carton to hold it into place so it wouldn't fall over as I added the mixture.


After the beeswax melted, I added the shea butter and coconut oil, let it melt, and then stirred it all together. Once it was completely smooth, I added my oils.  I used 6 drops of Peppermint oil for my first batch and wished I had added a little bit more.

Then, I turned the burner off and used a medicine dropper to slowly add the mixture to each tube.  You want to do this pretty quickly because it does not take long before it starts to harden.  It also sinks down quickly, so I went back and topped it off with the leftover mixture. 


I let it sit on the counter to cool for about 20-30 minutes, then I wiped off any excess mixture that dripped down the side with a paper towel.  Next, I put the caps back on and stuck them in the fridge for another 30 minutes or so.  I was able to get 13 tubes out of my first batch and had enough ingredients left over to do it again at least 4 or more times. 

Y'all....this is the smoothest stuff I have ever put on my lips!  I can't stop putting it on! I love it so much, and so does every one that I have given it to.


In fact, we like it so much that we made some more again today.  I let my daughter and nieces help, and they were so excited!  This time we added about 5 drops of lavender to the mix. 


To make them pretty, I let the girls decorate them with washi tape.  They were having a contest to see whose was the cutest.  I think they are all adorable. 


So there ya go...super simple lip balm!  If not, I would not have done it. :)  I figured I would share it with you incase you had the itch to make some too.  And speaking of itch, you could also use the lavender one as a stick to put on bug bites.  (We used some of the left overs on my husband's arm, because it is covered in poison ivy.)  Let me know if you'd like more information on Young Living oils.  Happy Saturday, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment